Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Totoro Double-Knit Potholder

So, apparently I've become fairly obsessed with double knitting. If you don't know what that it it's when you cast on two pieces at the same time, onto the same needle, and knit them both one stitch at a time. If you cross the colours over (creating a reversed two-colour pattern on each side) the two pieces are connected, but you can also knit two separate items, if you're careful and don't twist your yarn anyway.

My second potholder features the Studio Ghibli forest troll Totoro and his two smaller totoro friends in blue and pale brown. And it's adorable - at least on the blue-totoro side. The brown totoro on the blue background... well... it reminds me more of the freaky rabbit-guy Frank from Donnie Darko.
Perfect end result or not it was fun, and who's to say Totoro doesn't have a dark side, anyway? I bet if anyone did anything to Mei or Satsuki (the little girls from the film) he'd get pretty fired up about it.

... still creeps me out, though.






EDIT (for Sarah!)- and for anyone who would like to make their own, here is the chart I worked from. Enjoy!





8 comments:

  1. This looks so great!! :)
    Any chance you'd want to share (or sell) your chart?
    I have a friend that I would love to make this for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hadn't occurred to me someone might like the chart - I've edited my post to include it for you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for a really cute pattern ! Would you mind if I put a photo of my pot holders in my blog, and put a link to your blog with it so people can find the pattern ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all - go right ahead! I'm glad you like it (sorry for the delayed reply).

      Delete
    2. I had such fun making them - but I did some alteration while knitting ! I hope you don't mind :-)http://bonzostrikk.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/totoro-grytelapper/

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much!
    It looks beautiful on the blue-Totoro version. I will try to adapt it into a scarf and let you know how it went.
    Again, thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would love to see how your scarf comes out :)

      Delete